Surprise pension costs for school districts

Original post made on Jun 10, 2014

School districts got a surprise last month when Gov. Jerry Brown announced a new plan to pay for the state's pension shortfall.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 11:41 AM

Posted by Ok, that may work for teachers, a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Ok, that may work for teachers, But how about the 80+ billion for regular non teacher govt. employees?

Posted by James Thurber, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:34 pm

As a teacher I appreciate being one of the few remaining "pensioners" in our society. But the system is underfunded and (essentially) bankrupt. This includes Calpers, Calstrs, and most city pension funds.

I believe that eventually (within the next five years) we should close out / shut down all government pensions. This would include municipal, county, state and federal pensions, all of them. Many of our large cities are facing bankruptcy, primarily because of the impact of their underfunded pension funds and the excessive costs of retired employees.

The pension funds (what remains of them) could be handed over to the Social Security Trust Fund thus permitting state / municipal / federal pensioners to collect social security.

Many (if not most) government pensioners were exempt from paying into social security but this would then entitle them to these benefits and, in the long run, work out as a better solution for everyone.

Posted by @James, a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Good point!! Get rid of the union run calpers, calsters and merge them in with SS, that could actually save SS.

Best to get rid of the Unions while we are at, they are the ones that brought us into this sorry state of affairs. So they can gamble your money away on the stock market. Really bright.

Posted by Doug Pearson, a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I have to disagree with James Thurber's thought that his abrupt shift of state and local pensions to Social Security would "work out as a better solution for everyone." The pensioners would get a much smaller pension.

I'm sorry to say that is what a lot of people want.

Posted by Enough, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jun 10, 2014 at 8:01 pm

How about we stop all pensions for any government employees...period.
Grandfather the ones who are getting it now. Then end this ponzi scheme.
A few are being enriched by the overtaxed population.

Posted by Justin Case, a resident of Jackson Park
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:16 pm

CA CHING, CA CHING, CA CHING! YEAH, IT MUST BE THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!
My Union Boss down at the Town Hall emailed me yesterday and.
Told me that this article was hitting the Papers today, and He told Me.
to make it Look like I was Working till this Blows Over in a week. I
know the routine! In a week, I'll be back to my usual activity of.
Collecting A Paycheck for Doing Nothing! Hey, Private Sector.
Workers; You really gotta Pony Up more Taxes! I need at least a 10 %.
raise! My Cabin Cruiser at the Dock behind my Vacation House in.
Florida needs a New Engine. My wife has been after me for a new car.
She wants a BMW X6 G-Power Typhoon S! I told her I can't afford that.
car. So then she says she will accept a Mercedes-Benz CL-Class and.
Nothing else! I also got Private School Tuition of $ 40,000.00 due.
in September. I got Credit Card Expenses coming out my AXX! That
new 3000 sq ft extension on my house raised my property taxes $ 15,000.
The maid and the housekeeper want raises. The gardener also wants a.
raise. You see Bunky; It ain't easy in the Public Sector! So come
on Private Sector Worker; Pony Up and Pay More Taxes so I can afford to.
live here! You See; Life Is Not Fair, and the DemoRats will take.
care of Everything! HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!

Posted by BIG SURPRISE, a resident of Bailey Park
on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Its amazing how school officials feign surprise at the obvious. School bureaucrats created this mess and the governor is not going to let them off the hook. He has his own problems with PERS , State workers come before local teachers