High rents: a struggle for some, cakewalk for others

Original post made on Aug 8, 2013

As rents rise, struggling tenants face uncertain future

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 9, 2013, 12:00 AM

Posted by billy
a resident of Shoreline West
on Aug 8, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I'm a single, white, female with a teenage daughter, and have lived here for 8 years. I can barely make it, so race has NOTHING to do it! My rent went up $200 pr mth last year, and now $300 this year. Thank you google, yahoo & facebook!

Posted by Jason
on Aug 8, 2013 at 10:33 pm

White people have everything they want? That's dumb. Those white people more than likely took money and time and went to college. Don't like it, do something for yourself! Go to college get an education and stop mooching off our paychecks.

Posted by Norma
a resident of Castro City
on Aug 9, 2013 at 10:00 am

I agree, It has nothing to do with race. Everyone is struggling and we need rent control now. Its nice to see the whole picture, to see what struggling families go through to try and stay in this great city.

Posted by Moffett Resident
a resident of Willowgate
on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Thanks to Daniel DeBolt for these 2 articles covering the rapidly changing face of Mountain View (the companion article is here: Web Link). It's not a pretty situation.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Jackson Park
on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:54 am

I'm white, I've lived here all my life (53+ years!) have practically nothing else but my health to call my own, and haven't been able to find a good paying hourly job around here since the early 1990s(Journeyman machinist) regardless of my skin color.

Considering that most of the people I see moving to M.V. to work in high tech office jobs are of Asian or Indian nations, and that most of my WHITE friends had to move away due to greedy landlords, I'd say her comment about white folk was way off the mark.

P.S....I lived in one of those California Street apartments from 1980-1982, and it was only $$300 for a 2-bedroom unit back then!

Posted by Michelle
on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:56 am

Since when are people entitled to live in a certain city? You live in a place you can afford and live below your means. I as a white person, lived in a mobile home while my father risked his life cutting trees. My parents never took any kind of welfare. They made meals from scratch, cloth diapered their kids and didn't waste money on formula and buying new clothes.

The people in the article sound like members of the whine club. How shameful the rude girl is, making a racist materialistic comment like that. She sounds spoiled and entitled and heading no where because she is jealous and blaming everyone else instead of sving her own issues. Yuck.

I live in a city I can afford and it's not mountain view, it's a cheaper area. Grow up

Posted by roland
a resident of North Whisman
on Aug 31, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Lets face it.... Those HIGH on the FOOD CHAIN don't care bout us PEASANTS...
of 40yrs...