Mountain View Voice

News - July 22, 2011

New law requires carbon monoxide detectors

State legislation aims to cut down on death, injury from 'silent killer'

by Nick Veronin

Local fire officials are spreading the word about a new California law requiring carbon monoxide detectors to be placed in single-family homes.

Owners of houses that have a fossil fuel-burning appliance, such as a fireplace, or an attached garage, must equip their residences with an appropriate number of carbon monoxide detectors — electronic devices, similar to smoke detectors, that perpetually monitor the air for the poisonous gas.

The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act, California Senate Bill 183, was approved by former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger last year and went into effect on July 1.

"The law was put into place because people have lost their lives from carbon monoxide poisoning," said Jaime Garrett, a spokeswoman with the Mountain View Fire Department.

Carbon monoxide, Garrett said, is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause various health problems when inhaled by humans; in large enough quantities it can result in death.

According to the bill, there are as many as 40 "avoidable deaths" each year caused by carbon monoxide poisoning in California.

"Carbon monoxide is a silent killer," said Tonya Hoover, acting state fire marshal, in a press release from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. According to Hoover, the gas is responsible for an average of 480 deaths and more than 20,000 trips to the emergency room each year in the United States.

Shortness of breath, mild nausea and headaches have been reported after low-level exposure to the gas. Headaches, dizziness, confusion, extreme nausea and faintness are all symptoms of moderate exposure. Prolonged, severe exposure can lead to death.

During a recent community outreach campaign, Garrett said the Mountain View Fire Department encountered many people who were either unaware of the dangers of carbon monoxide or lived in homes without carbon monoxide detectors.

Garrett said that the fire department will not be actively enforcing the new law, but if emergency responders were to come to a home and discover that it was not properly equipped, the owner of the property will be asked to install a detector within 30 days.

If someone is injured or killed by carbon monoxide in a single-family residence that is not properly equipped with detectors, Garrett said, the owner of that property could be subject to a lawsuit.

Owners of multiple family residences, such as apartment complexes and hotels, have until Jan. 1, 2013 to install carbon monoxide detectors in their properties.

Carbon monoxide detectors are sold at local hardware stores and at big box retailers, Garrett said. She has seen them for as little as $19 and for as much as $80. Some come as combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.

Garrett said some detectors are better than others and that different residences have different needs, depending on their size and number of rooms. A list of approved devices and instructions for how should be installed can be found at http://osfm.fire.ca.gov.

The Mountain View Fire Department is currently trying to find an organization in the community that could help low-income people offset the cost of buying carbon monoxide detectors, Garrett said. Anyone seeking financial assistance in purchasing detectors should check back with the fire department's website periodically: http://www.ci.mtnview.ca.us/city_hall/fire/

Ultimately, Garrett said, installing carbon monoxide detectors is just a good idea — whether it is legally mandated or not. "Besides it being a law, we highly recommend that everyone has one in their home," she said. "This law is intended to make sure that you and your family are safe in your home."

Comments

Posted by Sanjfny, a resident of Cuernavaca
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I think this bolg is very good.However Last two paragraphs about carbon monoxide detectors or [url=www.wholesaleonelectronics.com/security-systems]Security Systems informations is not very understand,can you explain it more detailed?


Posted by Beuttey, a resident of Blossom Valley
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Why Do Home Security Systems Have To Use a Phone Line?www.wholesaleonelectronics.com/security-systems/,As oppose to a wireless signal or an internet connection, a phone line is the best bet as it relates to insuring that your system operates in the most effective manner possible.


If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields