Dog fight ends with pet stabbed to death

Incident under investigation; Animal control seeking witnesses

Animal Control officers are investigating whether a Mountain View resident was justified in stabbing a neighbor's dog to death after it allegedly attacked her Italian greyhound.

"My understanding is her dog (a small Italian greyhound) was being attacked by this other dog (a large Labrador retriever)," said Sgt. Dan Vicencio of the Mountain View Police Department. "It's a question of whether she was (acting) aggressively or if she did the right thing."

The owner of the Labrador, Heidi Faith, said in an email that her dog Chloe "did not deserve this vicious death. Yes, she escaped from the yard, was not on a leash and chased the other dog from in front of our house down the street to the other dog's house."

Faith added that her dog was a 9-year-old rescue. "She had been breeder dog in a puppy mill before being dumped on the side of the road. She was an affectionate and vibrant dog who was learning what living in a house was like."

The incident occurred on the 2000 block of Mardell Way on the afternoon of Oct. 1.

As of Monday, Oct. 7, no charges have been filed and no arrests have been made. Vicencio said the city's new animal control provider, Silicon Valley Animal Control Authority, is conducting an investigation. Those with information about the incident are asked to call (408) 764-0347.

This story will be updated with more details as they become available.

Comments

Posted by Dog Lover
on Oct 7, 2013 at 2:19 pm

OMG! So many unanswered questions. Where was the lab's owner? Was either dog off leash? Why was the person carrying a knife? Does that person have a criminal record? Did the person stab the dog during or after the attack? How is the little dog? Was it possible to pick up the little dog and turn/walk/run away? Were there any witnesses?

Posted by MVOK
on Oct 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm

The article left out an important fact. The attacking dog was unleased and on the woman's property. I'm not defending what she did-- I wasn't there and don't have the right to pass judgement.

But I do know that unleased dogs are a huge problem in this neighborhood. I really wish dog owners would leash their dogs appropriately, for the dogs' safety as well as other people's.

Posted by GSB
on Oct 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Like MVOK said, there is a lot of non-information here that only those on the neighborhood e-list know about. I'm presuming this is due to it being an active investigation.

Posted by Also Dog Lover
on Oct 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm

As GSB stated there is detail missing from the article, probably due to the ongoing investigation. Information on the neighborhood e-list however is also incomplete for the same reason. I agree, unleashed dogs are a huge problem.

Posted by mumbojumbo
a resident of Gemello
on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Ok, let us be objective here. Would this be an issue if the victim was a small child instead of a small dog. I see so many irresponsible pet owners, especially people who own big dogs like dobermans, german shepards,pit bulls, rottweilers, etc.these big dogs may be great to their owners but deep inside these dogs are killers and they consider any other animal or human as enemies and they are willing to attack them and kill them with no mercy. Dog owners should be held liable and put behind prison bar for good when their dogs become killers. our laws are so ridiculous and I would really like to the politicians and their family members become victims before they do something right on this issue. we have seen so many cases of pit bulls mauling and nothing has been done and I still see thugs walking these dangerous dogs in our residential streets or in fairs and festivals.

Posted by Member
on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I live in the Monte Loma neighborhood.
There have many neighborhood e-mails about this, and many unanswered questions.

Apparently, the lab was off-leash and this could have been a problem, but sometimes dogs do escape from people or get out of a yard. The dog was stabbed 5 to 7 times, and according to one witness, the stabbing continued after the little dog had escaped.

I have a little dog too and have occasionally had to kick at or frighten away a unleashed bigger dog, but I have never had to do more than push the other dog away, let alone kill the dog.

The headline is very slanted, Chloe, was a pet chocolate lab not a fighting dog. Sometimes dogs do play rough.

It is time for those in authority to give us some real answers.

Posted by Neighbor
on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I run through this neighborhood about 5 times per week and have never seen a dog off leash wandering around. This is an unfortunate situation, but you cannot blame "big dogs." Also, this situation does not involve pit bulls, rottweilers, german shepherds, etc., so why comment on those types of dogs.

Posted by Loma Prieta
on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm

@Member: The name of the neighborhood you live in is Monta Loma, not Monte Loma.

Posted by Lab?
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I thought Labs were pretty mild mannered. There IS more to this story! I may have done the same thing for my pet.

Posted by MVOK
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:07 pm

@Neighbor, I don't see off leash dogs wandering around on their own, but I frequently see off leash dogs walking with their owners, who choose to ignore leash laws.

Last weekend I walked my young neice to the park with my on-leash dog, and we were approached by aggressive, uncontrolled off-leash dogs TWICE within the span of a 10 minutes. When a large dog that is off leash approaches you, with an owner who may or may not be able to control that dog, it's a frightening thing for many people.

Posted by patricia zigulis
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm

patricia zigulis is a registered user.

I have yet to hear of any injuries to the small dog.

Posted by Ralf Heuser
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

what ignorance to call a lab a fighting dog and use it as headline. Let us all get the facts and stop speculating. It seems for most of you perfectly ok for a women to come running with a knife and stab the lab not once but four times, totally in rage. Looks like overkill to me. Thank god the other owner did not get stabbed...Has anybody given that some thought?

Posted by Greg David
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Greg David is a registered user.

@ Dog Lover

Who cares why they were carrying a knife? That's not a concern and not illegal. I carry a knife every day, as to millions of people in America. The tool at hand was used in defense of her pet.

As for those appalled by this, keep your dog leashed and under control and it will be a non-issue.

Posted by Elaine
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Why is it our city council was rushing to try to enforce pet cat licensing, but the on-going issue of dogs running around off leash (especially at our parks) has not been followed up on? This is a real problem in this city. It is a law to have your dog on a leash, but many residents of Mountain View do not respect this law.

I'm not saying the owner of the dog that was stabbed intentionally had it off leash. I am pointing out an issue that many have already commented on here.

Posted by L.L.
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I met this dog who was a very SWEET, innocent Lab. She was NOT a "fighting dog" (that term is used usually for Pit Bulls who are trained to fight, and they are victims themselves of ignorant people). I am sickened by MV Voice's choice of words here. There is absolutely NO justification for stabbing the dog to death. Why didn't the killer just kick the dog? The killer needs to be held accountable. She is a menace and a danger to society. Sometimes, people, dogs do get away from their owner(s). There are tens of millions of dogs in our world. It happens. DEAL WTH IT. Most dogs are not going to attack a human. Most dogs will lick you to death. Sometimes owners of dogs are not "irresponsible", but perhaps their hand slips on the leash, or the dog wants to go after a squirrel, and maybe that dog owner feels badly that the dog gets away and has every intention to control their dog. If someone killed my dog, there would be serious legal consequences to pay. I will do everything I can to support the owner of the Lab and send the killer to jail. By the way, the Lab had a hard life. She was used for breeding and dumped, then rescued. She did not deserve this fate. I hope the neighbors of the owner STEP UP and support her. Send the violent killer to jail.

Posted by Greg David
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Greg David is a registered user.

@ LL

Laughable. To think one would choose human life over that of a domestic pet is truly laughable. She obviously feared for the safety of her pet and responded in a way that halted the attack. No different than if she were being attacked herself.

As for the headline, I'm no fan of the Voice's journalistic styling, but it is painfully obvious that "fighting" is used a verb here and not as an adjective. But leave it to those that value animal life over human life to forgo the subtle nuances of the English language.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Waverly Park
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:51 pm

L.L. you need to cool off. You don't know much about the case. Sure, you might have met the dog, but you were not on the scene. So you cannot judge. Most dogs are not easy to just walk up to and stab. They are much faster and more agile than humans. For her to be able to get up to it and get a hold of it well enough to inflict fatal stab wounds means there is more to this than just a "menace to society" attacking a dog while playing rough. We will have to see what comes of the investigation. But you and I know about as much of the specific details of the attack as some guy in Miami at the moment.

Posted by Becky Reyna
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:04 pm

FIGHTING dog?! Mountain View Voice that is an awful heading! The word fighting was not needed. Shame on you!

Posted by Member
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm

LL,
nobody is choosing a dog over a human. Did you read the comments above? The dog may have been stabbed between 5 and 7 times. The witnesses reported seeing the stabbing continue even after the littler dog had escaped. There is a lot of information that needs to come out on this. Last I heard is the owner of the lab who died had a hold of the lab while the other women continued to stab at the dog.

Posted by People
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:12 pm

The dog was fighting. You may read the headline like the word fighting is describing the dog (a fighting dog), but that is not what it actually says. It was a dog that was fighting.

Posted by Anger control
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I also live in this neighborhood, which is a really mellow and charming area of Mountain View. This incident scares me to death. I appreciate the comment above: what if it had been a child scuffling with the little dog. Would the child be dead, too? The woman killer is a known nut case. I hope her legal bills are astronomical so that she is forced to leave this wonderful 'hood and be with her own kind someplace else. She does not belong here. I hope her name comes out pretty soon so she will be shamed and scorned forevermore. (I know her name from all the emails floating around on our neighborhood email list, but I have a feeling if I use it my comment will be deleted.) Her husband is very defensive, too, and I'm sure they'll both be happy someplace else where they can find lots more innocents to kill.

Posted by Becky Reyna
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:31 pm

@ People

Regardless of how the word fighting is being used...it doesn't need to be in the headline. You know how people are going to take it. This is going to be a very heated conversation and we don't need MV Voice playing with words. Regardless if they are using the word to say what the dog was doing. We don't even know the facts yet. I guess MV Voice does.

I do appreciate what you wrote though. I'm just more concerned about our neighborhood and getting along as best we can with this unfortunate incident.

Posted by Member
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm

To the Voice:

Someone needs to do a better job at reporting this story. All Daniel DeBolt has done is create more polarization. It is especially appalling that the headline is "Fighting" dog. Maybe the lab was just trying to play with the other dog.
Why not the headline" Lab allegedly attacked Italian greyhound

Posted by Scott Lamb
on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm

@Anger control: Please stop. I don't think she is a "known nut case". As far as I can tell, no one has ever complained about her or her husband on the mailing list until this incident. If she loses an expensive lawsuit, perhaps she will use that sum to demonstrate damages in her libel lawsuit against you. And if you're so eager for her name to be revealed, why won't you sign your own? I can't stand hypocrisy, and you're full of it.

I wasn't there and don't know any of the people involved. It sounds like you weren't and don't either. Rather than be part of an uninformed, angry mob, why not let the witnesses, police, and justice system do their job?

Posted by Anger control
on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Scott, yes, she certainly is a known nut case, and why you would defend her is beyond me. I get to state my opinion along with everyone else. I think what she did was terrible, but you want to sit and wait and see what the outcome is through a long legal process. Do you always agree with absolutely everything that is concluded via the justice system? How odd. You're probably highly educated, and did you not learn to think and opine? I guess you want me to wait to think and speak until you have decided enough information has come out for YOU to come to a conclusion. This was a tragic, stupid thing by a very out-of-control and angry woman who should never have a pet or live in a nice neighborhood, let alone have access to knives and who knows what else.

Posted by Otto Maddox
on Oct 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm

If the lady is smart she's not talking to the police. It's her own words that will screw her in the end since the police didn't actually see her do anything.

Dogs are property. Keep your dog on a leash and under control and you wont have these problems.

Posted by Flava Dave
a resident of Shoreline West
on Oct 8, 2013 at 2:43 am

Flava Dave is a registered user.

Come on people. The dog was fighting. "Fighting" is used as an adjective.

Same as "running dog" or "sleeping dog" or "swimming dog."

And any dog can become aggressive. When small dogs do (chihuahuas, terriers etc) it's not as "dangerous" as big dogs. Which is probably why owners of these dogs don't train them out of it.

Google "lab attack" or "labrador attack" and you will see plenty of stories of people with significant injuries. Often to their own families. Amazed that no one has bothered to do so yet.

Posted by Greg David
on Oct 8, 2013 at 11:09 am

Greg David is a registered user.

They gave the story a new headline. Even the hysterical cant twist these words in their favor....

Posted by Flava Dave
a resident of Shoreline West
on Oct 8, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Flava Dave is a registered user.

Oh well. MV Voice is catering to the LCD I guess. Dumb it down so they don't lose readers.

Posted by Maher
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Maher is a registered user.

Everything about this story sounds skewed and badly reported with too few facts and too many assumptions. IF you can't get the facts before you write an account; then DON't write the account. The VOICE needs to use higher standards of reporting than this.

Posted by Karma
on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I do know this couple. They are a quiet, professional couple. And their dog was injured during this incident. There are obviously very strong feelings surrounding this issue but I don't think that it is fair to attack this person who acted in the moment to stop an attack on her dog. None of this would have happened if Chloe had been secure in her yard. I have been saddened by how people are dealing with this, and by the fact that Chloe is now dead.

Posted by Steve
on Oct 9, 2013 at 7:45 am

Actually, the new headline is even more remarkable than the old one. Taken by itself, one might be misled into thinking one dog stabbed the other. The 'Enquirer' will be calling, they want their editor back!

Posted by Nick
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

Good for this poor woman for protecting her dog, on her property! I don't understand how so many of you are vilifying her for this.

Keep your dogs on leashes if you want them to be safe.

And please, quit using other lawns as your toilet.

Posted by mike
on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I have met this couple several times when walking with the cute greyhound. I am disgusted by the evil comments about them and about what happened. Be aware, bloggers, that you can be sued in civil court for your comments...

Posted by Mountain View 1980
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm

This is just awful. I cannot believe a person would keep stabbing a dog to death. I've had over the years found dogs wandering the streets from getting out of neighbors' yards while walking our dogs and never once did I think about harming other animals. I consider this person who killed the dog to be a dangerous person and should be charged.

Posted by Mountain View 1980
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm

And I don't care if the couple or the woman is a "professional". She purposely killed a dog. Not injured, but killed. I can't fathom doing something this.

Posted by no more
on Oct 17, 2013 at 7:23 am

Responding to 1980's comment, you can't fathom doing something like this because it's the law of nature to protect children and animals. Most people protect; they don't kill. That's why I hope the DA charges the killer with the maximum crime allowed. This woman and her killing instinct should be put away for a long, long time.