Workshop for local immigrant students

Event aims to help 'Dreamers' navigate their way to higher education

Then there are those who, despite working hard and earning high grades, face a seemingly impossible battle when it comes to getting into college. Elena Pacheco refers to them as "Dreamers," and she wants them all to attend her workshop for immigrant students on Sept. 25 at Mountain View High School.

Dreamers are the children of illegal immigrants, who were brought to this country by a parent, grandparent, aunt or family friend when they were very young, students who call the United States home even though they are not legally citizens of this country. According to Pacheco, a local immigration rights activist, Dreamers live in fear of deportation and often with the implicit understanding that they won't be able to attend college, since they often come from low-income families and are ineligible for state grants and other financial aid available to citizens.

Dreamers get that moniker because they are the ones who stand to benefit most from the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act. California's version of the DREAM Act was passed into law in 2011, and gives students brought to the U.S. illegally an easier path to higher education.

Pacheco is hosting the workshop to help local students understand how the act impacts them and learn what options they have when it comes to going to college.

"We have a huge need in Mountain View with our Dreamers," Pacheco said, explaining that the workshop will have information from a variety of sources and organizations established to help young undocumented immigrants. She said the workshop is intended to help give undocumented youth the information necessary to navigate a complex system and avoid those who would seek to take advantage of them. "I want to make sure they have the resources they need," she said.

The event will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 25, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Mountain View High School Theater, located at 3535 Truman Ave.

Dreamers and their parents are encouraged to attend, Pacheco said.

At the event, students can get information from a variety of organizations, including the Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network (SIREN); the Mexican Consulate of San Jose; Foothill College.

For more information on the immigration workshop, email Pacheco at ElenaDreamersMV@gmail.com.

Comments

Posted by mumbojumbo, a resident of Gemello
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Dreamers are illegal too. An offspring of an illegal immigrant is illegal too. Why are they called dreamers? It is so outrageous that people pick a success story of 1 out 10000 or 100000 as an example to legitimize unlawful behavior.

Posted by Member, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm

So according to MV Voice on 9/22, I'm told the amount of debt I'll incur sending my kid to college will basically be my financial demise as "A record number of students are going into debt in order to finance their futures" yet only two days later, here is a story that says I'll have no problem paying for this (unless of course my kid is illegal, then the government will take care of it through the Dreamer Program?).

Original post made by Editor on Sep 22, 2013
Local students and grads drowning in debt

"With student debt exceeding national credit-card debt — crossing the $1 trillion point last year — and college becoming costlier each year, local students and their families are borrowing more and more to finance their futures."

vs.

by Nick Veronin on Sep 24, 2013
Workshop for local immigrant students
Event aims to help 'Dreamers' navigate their way to higher education

"Many students at Mountain View and Los Altos high schools will never have to worry about their ability to pay for and attend college. Other teens come from lower-income families, but with hard work and good grades will be able to make their way through the higher education system thanks to grants and student loans."

Oi Vey!

Posted by Taxpayer, a resident of Waverly Park
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

What is the benefit of being a citizen of the United States and resident of California? To pay taxes so that illegal immigrants can go to college for free while my kids cannot. Wow, this is a great country (if you're an illegal)!

Posted by Observer, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Good point Member. And so it all comes full circle. Citizens (read taxpayers) can afford student loan debt, but illegals cannot and should be given breaks funded by taxpayers! I guess we should all just be grateful and celebrate the diversity (of who is saddled with debt and who isn't).

Posted by Roman, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

What part of illegal do people not understand????????

Why can't everyone follow the same immigration process all four of my grandparents did? To wait their turn to come here, work hard, learn English, follow the laws and become proud legal citizens.

Someone please answer my questions.

Posted by Green Card Holder, a resident of another community
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm

To get my visa I had to go through hoops at the American Embassy with a ton of paperwork and several visits. To get my green card, I had to go through hoops, get expensive legal help, get a background check, get a thorough medical, be fingerprinted. To become a citizen I would have to get more legal help, go through more hoops, pass an exam.

As a green card holder, I have to pay taxes, agree to carry my green card around at all times and show it to a US government official at any time I am asked, and if I don't have it with me, to be taken somewhere until such time as someone can bring it to wherever I am being held. In return I cannot vote, cannot be on a jury and cannot have a green card.

Illegal residents cannot be asked to show papers, yet they can get into school and there is talk of them getting drivers licenses and going on juries.

Now there is talk of illegal residents getting what would be time consuming and costly for me to do, for free!!

Something is not fair here.

Posted by Green Card Holder, a resident of another community
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I meant at the end of my second paragraph above, I cannot get a US passport, not a green card.

Posted by Supporter, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:44 am

It is not the Dreamer's fault that they are illegal - they were too young to understand that and shouldn't have to pay for that.

Posted by Coming of Age, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Sep 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

@Supporter - I do agree with you on the fact that it is not the Dreamer's 'fault' that they are illegal, specifically if they were small children when their parents brought them to this country.

HOWEVER, these (as our Government has dubbed them) 'Dreamers', are not babies, toddlers, elementary schoolers or middle schoolers; they are high school kids that, by the time they graduate and become eligible for this 'Dreamer' program the majority will 18 year old ADULTS.

Unless these kids have been living under a rock and have no access to current events, they are fully aware of the discussion in this country in regards to their illegal status. When they turn 18 and are legally recognized as an adult, they should have a full understanding that they are illegal, and as adults it is THEIR responsibility to get on the path to legal citizenship.

Your argument in regards to the Dreamer program holds no validity.

Green Card Holder is taking the correct path and obviously it is not an easy path. But unlike the illegals in this country that show zero respect for our citizens and our laws by flying the 'it's not my fault flag', Green Card Holder has shown great responsibility and respect, not only for him/herself, but for the generations before him/her that took the proper path to naturalization. I wish Green Card the best!

Posted by supporter #2, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm

It makes me sick to see how this so called community is still full of ignorant people. First, many of you have to get educated because undocumented people DO pay taxes its called having an ITN #. Second, undocumented students DO NOT qualify for government help such as FASFA and therefore have to come up with the money by themselves or with the help of scholarship which they earn since anyone can receive it. Third, undocumented students work so hard to obtain good grades and be able to pay for school and don't have to rely on their "rich" parents to pay for them. I can't tell you how many times I have seen many kids who are citizens and have things so easy take things for granted while kids that are undocumented try to take advantage of every little opportunity they can get. I just really wish this community can stop being selfish and instead try to find ways to help students regardless of their immigration statues because EVERYONE deserves an education.

Posted by to Roman , a resident of Old Mountain View
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Let me try to respond to your question even though I don't think it will make a difference.

1. When your grandparents went through the process it was less complicated, easy and not expensive since almost any one was welcomed to come in.

2. what do you mean by work hard? last time I checked the people you call "illegal" do work hard. they are not in the streets asking for money but they are actually trying to get jobs which it's the reason many complain that they are taking jobs.

3. they are trying to learn English but it's not something that is easy. Its like you learning Spanish, Chinese, French etc....

4. Its irritating when people say that "why can't they follow the laws" like it is something so easy to do. Do you think these people want to be here illegally?

Hope that helps :)