Prowler arrested after sneaking into Mountain View home

A Mountain View man was arrested on charges of burglary and attempted sexual assault after he allegedly broke into a home on the 200 block of Chiquita Avenue looking for a woman he believed to be living at the house.

The woman he was allegedly looking for was not home, but another woman was, according to Sgt. Sean Thompson of the Mountain View Police Department.

That woman was sleeping in her bedroom at about 4:45 a.m. when she was awakened by sounds in her backyard. According to Thompson, the woman's room -- the home's master bedroom -- had a sliding glass door leading to the backyard. She had left the glass door open and the screen door shut, but not locked.

The man reportedly opened the screen door and sneaked into the woman's bedroom, stalking past her as she pretended to sleep, Thompson said. As soon as the intruder left her room and entered the hallway, the woman jumped from her bed, grabbed her phone and locked herself inside her master bedroom's bathroom, where she dialed 911.

Police responded quickly and discovered a man walking out the front of the house. They stopped him in the driveway.

Through questioning, the officers determined that the man had been searching for another woman who lived in the house but was not home at the time, Thompson said.

Officers arrested the man, identified as 24-year-old Ronald Rodriguez, on charges of burglary and attempted sexual assault.

No one was injured in the incident.

Comments

Posted by Mr. DePortum
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Did he work at The Day worker Center?

Posted by Martin Omander
a resident of Rex Manor
on Sep 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Well done, for calmly calling he police and for them to arrive quickly and make the arrest. It must have been terrifying lying in bed and pretending to sleep while the prowler walked through your bedroom!

Posted by Jenny
on Sep 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Who, in their right mind, would sleep with an open, unlocked screen door (or any door) for that matter? Unless you live on an upper floor of a high-rise with no possibility of entry, you're nuts. She was darn lucky........this time.

Posted by Fed Up
on Sep 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm

@Jenny - You have got to be kidding me, you are accusing the victim, calling her nuts, and not in her right mind? Since when should we be locked up in our own homes on a hot night, and our children can't even walk to school alone? Lock him up and throw away the key. Better yet, send him back to where he came from and then lock the border. I don't want to support his scary a** in or out of jail. If he had a job, he would have been sleeping too.

Posted by Love
a resident of Slater
on Sep 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Quite racist there Mr. DePortum. It's sad that's the first thing in your head.

Posted by LM
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Sep 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I thought the days of the KKK were behind us. Mr. Portum's comments about the Day Worker center are unsubstantiated, vile and hateful. I recommend he visit the Day Worker Center and see the work they do. The Day Worker Center is a net contributor to our community.

Posted by And don't forget...
a resident of Waverly Park
on Sep 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

But, please do not forget Fed Up, who assumes (for no good reason except racism) that this man is not from the USA. I quote "Better yet, send him back to where he came from and then lock the border".

Shame on all 3 of you.

Posted by Jenny
on Sep 14, 2013 at 6:07 pm

@ Fedup - where did I 'accuse' the victim? I never said that she hung a neon sign in her front yard saying she was lying in wait to become a victim. To make myself clear, I did not call HER nuts......it was a blanket statement for anyone who sleeps with their house wide open. Wake-up dude! We DO live in a world where we need to lock our doors while we sleep. If you can't handle the hot summer night, buy a freak'n fan, don't leave your house wide open which gives someone the advantage to make you their victim.

You ask " Since when should we be locked up in our own homes on a hot night, and our children can't even walk to school alone?" Seriously? Where do you live? In the 1950's? If you want to live in an unsecured home and take the risk that your unprotected child will make it home safely, more power to ya. Personally, I choose to provide every layer possible in keeping my family safe from the ever growing sickos in society.

I'm glad that woman made it through this event safely, but I'll betch'a a weeks pay she doesn't sleep with her doors wide open any more.

Posted by FrankSki
a resident of North Whisman
on Sep 15, 2013 at 7:21 am

"Hide your kids...hide your wife."

That was made famous on youtube a few years ago! Seriously though, I think @Jenny is right on point--both her initial comment and rebuttal to @Fedup, in my opinion, reflect what I think when I often read/hear about some of the crimes taking place in our community.

While all people deserve to be safe and secure in their homes, businesses, and public places, WE must assist in that endeavor. Don't leave car/house doors and windows open/unlocked--especially when you are away from one or both. The attitude of "I'm just going for a quick jog and will be right back" doesn't cut it anymore. Or, "I'm just gonna run inside the Post Office, bank, Subway for a quick minute" IS as Jenny put it, nuts!

And as we have read about this crime, we need to lock our doors and windows when we are home--day and night--and when we are in our cars driving or sitting parked somewhere. (The stories are out there folks: suspect enters car while victim is stopped at red light--his doors weren't locked; or While putting away groceries, a woman thought she heard a noise, and when she called out, the suspect ran out the front door. She remembered she didn't lock her door upon returning from the grocery store; and car stolen with kid inside because victim left it running while...you fill in the blank).

Situational awareness!!! Do you walk and talk with your cell phone to your ear? Nuts! Do you lock your car doors but leave your purse, laptop bag, gym bag, briefcase sitting on the front or rear seats? Nuts! Do you agree to meet someone on Tyrella Ave at 10pm with $2k cash expecting to make love on top of that cash? If so, you are NUTS (watch: someone else will fall for that on another street).

I'm glad the MVPD caught this person. I'm glad the victim was not harmed. But we'd be singing a different tune had the person NOT been arrested. So, what I'm saying is that we need to help the MVPD...AND ourselves by being more situationally aware! All police websites have tips on how to be safe. Heck, we all know how to be safe, we just allow our minds to say, "It won't happen to me!"

Don't let your mind tell you this any longer: "My community is safe, nothing will happen here". Sure, if it is gonna happen, it's gonna happen. But at least--or I hope that I/you will see it coming first and can act/react.

I'm jus' sayin'.