Clutter fuels two-alarm house fire

One person suffered minor injuries in a two-alarm fire in northeastern Mountain View reported at 9:25 a.m. Monday morning, fire officials said. Mountain View and Palo Alto firefighters were still busy removing smoldering debris from the home at around 11 a.m.

The fire was reported at 9:25 a.m. and was extinguished at about 10:45 a.m.

Fire department spokesperson Jaime Garrett said the injured woman who lived in the house was treated on the scene. Flames burned throughout the home on the 1600 block of Spring Street and flames even damaged power lines behind the house, Garrett said.

Residents displaced by the fire will be housed by the Red Cross, Garrett said.

"This is why we encourage people to go through spring cleaning a few times a year," Garrett said, as firefighters removed smoldering piles of clothing and fabric from the garage. "There is a high fuel load in this house. Once stuff like that starts burning, it just smolders. It got up in the attic and throughout the home."

Garrett also noted the bars on the windows could have prevented someone from escaping from the fire.

"If people put bars on their windows, (they need) to make sure they can be opened from the inside so they can be used as an emergency exit," Garrett said.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Honey b00b00
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Eeesh!!! Hoarding gone bad! Lucky for them, nobody died.

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Martin Omander
a resident of Rex Manor
on Jan 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Wow, that's a lot of stuff in the garage. I'm happy to hear no-one was killed or seriously injured. Yet another reason to clean out my garage.

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Otto Maddox
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:06 am

I am always amazed at the amount of JUNK people will pile up in a garage.

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Carolyn Tangi
a resident of North Whisman
on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:56 am

What appears as junk to you, could be things these folks collected to recycle for income. Don't judge what they had in their garage.

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Chick-fil-haay!!!
a resident of St. Francis Acres
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm

@ Carolyn Tangi. They should have gone to the recycling center a little more often, because now, it's definitely nothing but junk. Burnt junk to be exact.

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Sparty
a resident of Cuesta Park
on Jan 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

"What appears as junk to you, could be things these folks collected to recycle for income."

Piling it up for "income" at some "later" time is about as effective as simply looking at college brochures to enroll "one day" and boost your income.

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Sean
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I bet it all that Carolyn has more junk then that garage.

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Continuation of Office Cap Discussion
By Steve Levy | 12 comments | 2,966 views

By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 2,237 views

Ramen shop replaces Muracciís in Los Altos
By Elena Kadvany | 8 comments | 1,897 views

"Itís Not About the Nail"
By Chandrama Anderson | 3 comments | 1,604 views

Are You Introverted or Extroverted, and Does it Even Matter?
By Caroline Fleck | 4 comments | 801 views